Skip to main content

English Ivy Houseplants Care

English Ivy - Hedera helix

To Feed or Not to Feed, That is the Question

From Wanda:
I just purchased the Hedera helix #Ivy #plant. It is in a plastic planter that measures about 7" across. It is very healthy looking, and I am wondering how I can keep moisture around the plant, as I plan to hang it from my livingroom ceiling. I don't want to have to mist it every day, and I was told that putting the potted plant into another bigger pot with moss will hold in the moisture so I won't need to mist it so often. Also, I read that I may need to use a high-nitrogen liquid fertilizer monthly for the Ivy plant. Do you have any suggestions as to which brand to use? I have been using Jack's Classic basic indoor plant fertilizer for all my other plants, but did not know if this would be ok to use for the Ivy. Please get back to me and let me know, as I want to take the very best care of my plants as possible. Thank you, and have a great day.

Hi Wanda,

Thanks for the question. The suggestion to "double pot" your ivy in a moss basket is a good idea and an easy way to increase the humidity for your English Ivy. A hanging plant is subject to quite a bit more heat and dry air than a plant on the floor or table.
As for the fertilizer, it should not be necessary to feed any new plants as there should be sufficient nutrients in the potting media to last for a year or more. I personally don't use any type of plant food unless my plant starts showing signs of nutrient deficiency (which never happens) and after making sure that any problems are not caused by improper watering, insect problems, etc. I prefer to add fresh soil to the plant as it is potted up or depleted.
I know that the companies that promote (and produce) fertilizers are trying to make money but I have found they often do more harm over time (for houseplants in particular). Plants have been growing on their own for millions of years without humans giving them chemical fertilizers.
That, of course, is your own decision and you may find it is beneficial to your plants. Any other thoughts on the subject of fertilizing houseplants? Feel free to post any opinions.
And good luck with your Ivy plant.
Thanks again...

Comments

  1. Thanks for the houseplant care advice. Always have problems with my plants and is hard to find helpful solutions that make sense.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, questions and help or advice are always welcome...

Popular posts from this blog

Rhapis Palm House Plant Care Rhapis Excelsa Palm, or Lady Palm, is a great indoor house plant. The fan-like fronds are a shiny, glossy green when healthy. Rhapis Palms will tolerate lower light and temperatures than many other palms, making it a good choice for the home or office. Rhapis excelsa is a fan palm. Although most fan palms are seldom sold as house plants and will mostly be found in large, indoor landscapes because of their size and spread, the Rhapis Palm is well suited to life in the average home or in the office. The Rhapis palm plant has more of an upright growth habit than many other fan palms. This elegant palm plant has a fairly tough constitution. Read more about the fantastic palm plant that can be used as a potted, indoor plant.

My Dracaena Plant is Too Tall, Now What?

Dracaena Warneckii Plant Plant Questions and Answers Here is a recent email question from Grace, someone looking for some help with her houseplant... "I got a plant for my moms funeral and now it's very tall and don't know if and how to split it. Any help? I attached a picture of it. Card that came with it says it's a dracaena but couldn't find any helpful information on line." Hi Grace, Thanks for the picture. Your plant is a dracaena Warneckii . You can cut back the stem any place that you want to and it should regrow from that point. Is that what you wanted to know? Your plant looks nice and healthy! Good job. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I did not tell you what you wanted to know.... Hi again Grace, Forgot to mention that you can root the piece you cut off in moist sand, then you can plant into its own pot when the roots get a few inches long. You should remove the leaves (from the cut piece) when yo

Dracaena Marginata Plant Care

Plant Care for Dracaena Marginata Potted Dracaena Marginata Plant My last post was about the Mother-In-Law Tongue plant, the most searched and researched indoor plant and its care, at least on my website. This post is about Dracaena marginata, the second most searched for indoor plant. The dracaena marginata is sometimes called Dragon Tree. We just call her Marginata or Marg...  Marginata is my favorite Dracaena, I just love the thinner, long, delicate and arching leaves of the marginata. If your Marginata has been growing in really good light in a nursery, the leaves may be thicker and stiff. As it grows in new foliage acclimated to the lower light in your home (or office), the leaves will thin and become more graceful and arching. That is the way I like them best! Dracaenas in general are really easy to care for once you get them settled in and learn how to water them properly. Many of the plants that we use in our interior landscapes are dracaena varieties.