Skip to main content

Oh My It's A Spider! Spider Plant Care

Spider Plant - Chlorophytum

Spider Plant Wins Starring Role in Showtime Series "Homeland"

Do you think this great little #houseplant, the #Spider #Plant, could win an award for "Best Plant of the Year"?

Well, yes, I am being a bit humorous, or trying to be, anyway. But read on, #Plant #Lovers, as you just might see this popular #indoor #plant as a bit player in the Showtime Series, Homeland....

I have often had the opportunity to totally remake interior landscaping accounts as an interior plant care professional. A recent account gave me the chance to redesign an indoor container garden that needed a fresh look to make it a show stopper! It was a big indoor atrium with great lighting, twenty-foot tall Ficus trees, towering Norfolk Island Pines and some bed-like containers needing low-growing  plants that would fill out quickly. I also wanted to add some contrast to the all-green foliage in the atrium and minimize the stark container lines. Variegated Spider Plants fit the bill perfectly. They performed exactly as I had hoped. 
Today, that account in Charlotte, North Carolina is being used to film some of the indoor scenes in the Showtime series "Homeland". If you watch the series, keep an eye out and you may catch a glimpse of those Spider Plants, Ficus trees and Norfolk Island Pines.
 See, I wasn't just making stuff up! Read more about my Spider Plant story and about Spider Plant care...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pruning Your Umbrella Plant (Schefflera Arboricola)

How to Prune Your Umbrella - Plant  Schefflera Arboricola, Umbrella Plant Schefflera Arboricola I recently received an email from a visitor to my website asking how to prune her Umbrella Plant. She sent along the picture to the right. Here is her email and my answer: Hello, I'm just wondering how to prune an umbrella plant. My plant is getting out of control, growing upwards and I can't seem to get it to grow like a bush. I'm afraid to cut it to shape cause I might kill it. I've had this plant for over 10 years and from the picture I sent you can see it's still growing good. I just want to trim it down but I want to do it properly. Thanks! Hi Julia When pruning an Arboricola (umbrella plant), cut just above a leaf stem or node. I usually cut the tallest stem back into the center of the plant, leaving some leaf nodes for new growth to start. Doing this every once in awhile keeps the plant fuller and shorter. You can cut the really ta...

Dracaena Marginata Plant Care

Plant Care for Dracaena Marginata Potted Dracaena Marginata Plant My last post was about the Mother-In-Law Tongue plant, the most searched and researched indoor plant and its care, at least on my website. This post is about Dracaena marginata, the second most searched for indoor plant. The dracaena marginata is sometimes called Dragon Tree. We just call her Marginata or Marg...  Marginata is my favorite Dracaena, I just love the thinner, long, delicate and arching leaves of the marginata. If your Marginata has been growing in really good light in a nursery, the leaves may be thicker and stiff. As it grows in new foliage acclimated to the lower light in your home (or office), the leaves will thin and become more graceful and arching. That is the way I like them best! Dracaenas in general are really easy to care for once you get them settled in and learn how to water them properly. Many of the plants that we use in our interior landscapes are dracaena varieti...

Dracaena Marginata Houseplants Pruning and Rooting

My Little Dracaena Marginata Question from Gilbert:   I have a marginata house plant, It's about 2 1/2 feet tall, my question is: can I cut it in half and if I do will It continue to grow or will it die? And can I replant the top half? Also, will the trunk grow in diameter?   Answer: Yes you can cut back the trunk of your Dracaena Marginata . It will put out at least one new shoot, if not three to four or more new shoots. It will not die as long as you are taking good care of it. You can re-plant the cut-off top, but Dracaena can be a little harder to root than say, a  Pothos  plant that you can just leave in water and it will grow forever. You can  air-layer your plant . Another option is to root in moist sand. You can lay the piece of Marginata trunk down on its side in moist sand and it should eventually root, although it may take some time. This has worked for me before. If you want to root it in its upright position, try some rooting hormon...